Call for Applications
The deadline for applications has passed on 1 November 2020.
The Swiss Arts Council Pro Helvetia supports a wide variety of architectural projects in Switzerland and abroad, such as exhibitions and publications. It is also responsible for organising Swiss contributions to Venice Architecture Biennale. Since the 2020 Biennale has been postponed for a year due to the Covid-19 pandemic, Pro Helvetia is now launching a special call for proposals: «Architecture Matters» is intended to strengthen reflection and discourse on contemporary architecture.
The Swiss Arts Council Pro Helvetia is issuing acall for proposals — «Architecture Matters» — as part of its efforts to support innovative projects in the field of architecture. The call is intended to provide a one-off financial contribution to new projects that reflect on, research and convey architectural issues and themes beyond academic research. Applicants may also submit projects aimed at intensifying existing initiatives. Proposals may be theoretical or consider practical aspects of architectural creation. Support will also be granted to outreach measures seeking to stimulate the exchange of knowledge about architecture. «Architecture Matters» aims to strengthen the creative practice and the authorial role of architecture professionals and to promote the discourse on architecture and its social relevance.
This call for proposals is aimed at practising architects, professional groups related to architecture, and institutions (museums, architecture forums, etc.) pursuing inspiring and sustainable research, practice-oriented projects, and educational projects. Applicants must either be Swiss nationals or have permanent residence in Switzerland; they will have completed their training and have gained recognised professional practice. They need to be anchored in the cultural life of Switzerland (especially if they live or work abroad) or be engaging with a contemporary architectural topic with a Swiss connection.
Pro Helvetia is awarding contributions between CHF 5,000 and max. CHF 25,000 to several projects.
Types of projects eligible for funding:
- Practice-related research on current topics;
- Innovative exchange and educational (i.e. outreach) projects or exhibitions;
- Public formats seeking to promote the discourse on and access to architecture;
- Formats that contribute to structural research on as well as the visualisation and discussion of the built environment;
- Thematic publications on contemporary architectural topics with a Swiss connection;
- Temporary and mobile architecture.
Types of projects ineligible for funding:
- Building projects;
- Educational trips;
- Projects on historical issues;
- Monographs (for more information, see the ongoing funding activities of the Visual Arts Division);
- Projects that are part of a school or university curriculum, basic training or continuing education (including dissertations, diploma projects, university scholarships, etc.).
- Sound and convincing concept including details on the project topic
- CVs and details of the project participants
- Description of international partners (provided any are involved)
- Implementation schedule
- Envisaged impact
- Budget and financial plan
Funding decisions will be communicated in the course of December 2020.
[Illustration: © Maria Rehli]