Coordinator Global Network & International Affairs
The Swiss Arts Council Pro Helvetia has six residencies in Venice to offer between autumn 2021 and summer 2022. The aim is to support artistic research focusing on the city’s contemporary cultural and social situation, urban communities and transformation processes. The site of the residencies will be Palazzo Trevisan degli Ulivi at Campo Sant’Agnese. The residencies will enable artists to foster meaningful and long-term relations with the communities of Venice through artistic practice.
Pro Helvetia is looking for Swiss-based art practitioners (from fields such as architecture, design, interactive media, literature, music, performing arts, visual arts or art with a transdisciplinary focus)
- who are willing to build up meaningful forms of collaboration with the local community
- who are interested in urban cultural practices
- who are interested in spatial or architectural topics or in social and artistic activities in urban contexts
- who are keen to discover and understand the challenges of Venice’s municipal networks.
The selection process will be accompanied by the following external consultants:
- Alice Sartori, curator in visual arts (Ocean Space, Venice)
- Matthieu Goeury (performing arts program at Vooruit, Gent, Belgium)
- Sergio Pascolo, architect and urbanist (Venice)
Pro Helvetia offers either a three-month or a four-week residency. It covers the accommodation costs at Palazzo Trevisan degli Ulivi, a daily allowance and travel expenses (train). Furthermore, Pro Helvetia may support three-month residencies with a contribution towards production costs of up to CHF 3,500, and a four-week residency with a contribution towards production costs of up to CHF 1,000. Participants will be assisted by local coaches and consultants (invited by Pro Helvetia), who will facilitate encounters with the local cultural and social scene and establish contacts to the relevant experts, networks and practitioners.
- Eligible are artists from Switzerland who work in one of the following fields: architecture, design, interactive media, literature, music, performing arts, visual arts or art with a transdisciplinary focus.
- Applicants must have a convincing track record of artistic activity with a national / cross-regional appeal.
- Applications must contain a specific research or project idea on a topic relevant to the contemporary social and cultural context of Venice. Priority is given to proposals that aim to create a dialogue with the local cultural or social scene and to have a lasting impact.
- Applications by artist duos are possible, but they must take into consideration that bedroom and bathroom will be shared.
- Sufficient knowledge of English and at least a basic knowledge of Italian are required.
Artists from Switzerland who applied in answer to the annual call for residencies 2022 are eligible to apply again.
Available time slots
- 20 Sep – 20 Dec 2021
- 10 Jan – 10 Apr 2022
- 2 May – 31 Jul 2022
- 22 Nov – 20 Dec 2021
- 16 May – 13 Jun2022
- 20 Jun – 18 Jul 2022