Global Encounters and Initiatives Specialist
The Swiss Arts Council Pro Helvetia has up to six residencies in Venice to offer in 2024. The aim is to support artistic research focusing on the city’s contemporary cultural and social situation, urban communities and change processes. The site of the residencies will be Palazzo Trevisan degli Ulivi at Campo Sant’Agnese. The residencies will enable artists to foster meaningful and long-term relations with the communities of Venice through artistic practice.
Pro Helvetia is looking for Swiss-based art practitioners (from fields such as architecture, design, interactive media, literature, music, performing arts, visual arts or art with a transdisciplinary focus)
- who are willing to build up meaningful forms of collaboration with the local community
- who are interested in urban cultural practices
- who are interested in spatial or architectural topics or in social and artistic activities in urban contexts
- who are keen to discover and understand the challenges of Venice’s municipal networks.
The selection process will be accompanied by the following external consultants:
- Alice Sartori, curator in visual arts (Ocean Space, Venice)
- Matthieu Goeury (performing arts program at Viernulvier, Gent, Belgium)
- Sergio Pascolo, architect and urbanist (Venice)
Pro Helvetia offers either a three-month or a four-week residency. It covers the accommodation costs at Palazzo Trevisan degli Ulivi, a daily allowance and travel expenses (train). Furthermore, Pro Helvetia may support three-month residencies with a contribution towards production costs of up to CHF 3,000, and a four-week residency with a contribution towards production costs of up to CHF 1,500. Participants will be assisted by local coaches and consultants (invited by Pro Helvetia), who will facilitate encounters with the local cultural and social scene and establish contacts to the relevant experts, networks and practitioners.
Additionally, parents can apply for financial support of CHF 1,000 per month at most to co-finance childcare or to bring their children and possibly a caregiver. You can find more information on the parental support here.
- Eligible are artists from Switzerland who work in one of the following fields: architecture, design, interactive media, literature, music, performing arts, visual arts or art with a transdisciplinary focus.
- Applicants must have a convincing track record of artistic activity with a national / cross-regional appeal.
- Applications must contain a specific research or project idea on a topic relevant to the contemporary social and cultural context of Venice. Priority is given to proposals that aim to create a dialogue with the local cultural or social scene and to have a lasting impact.
- Applications by artist duos are possible, but they must take into consideration that bedroom and bathroom will be shared.
- Sufficient knowledge of English and at least a basic knowledge of Italian are required.
Cultural practitioners from Switzerland may apply simultaneously for residencies in Venice, New York, or in another region covered by one of Pro Helvetia’s liaison offices. Separate, complete applications must be submitted. However, a maximum of one application per person will be approved within the framework of one call for applications.
Projects need to be sent in English or Italian via myprohelvetia.ch.
Available time slots
- 8th January – 7th April 2024
- 8th April – 7th July 2024
- 9th September – 8th December 2024
- 26th February – 24th March 2024
- 3rd – 30th June 2024
- 2nd – 29th September 2024
Image © ROLI Deluxe