Fachspezialistin Visuelle Künste
Pro Helvetia’s Collection Cahiers d’Artistes enables artists to publish their first monograph. The series offers professionals of the art world as well as the general art audience a showcase for current trends in the Swiss art scene.
Based on an artistic and design concept, the monographs provide an overview of an artist’s work, without presenting it in its entirety. The Cahiers d’Artistes are meant to have the character of an artist’s book, rather than being a portfolio.
Pro Helvetia awards funding following the recommendation of an appointed jury. Artists are expected to conceive the prospective monograph in close collaboration with the graphic designers Samuel Bänziger, Rosario Florio and Larissa Kasper, their publishing house Jungle Books, St.Gallen and Pro Helvetia. The next series will be published in mid-2023.
Who is entitled to apply?
To be eligible for funding, artists must
- have Swiss nationality or permanent residence in Switzerland; they must also be exhibiting their work regularly in Switzerland,
- have no published monograph on their work,
- provide a track record of independent professional practice,
- have completed their professional training.
What Pro Helvetia offers
- Pro Helvetia covers the costs for a monographic publication with a text of art criticism (in two languages), within the previously defined design framework and scope
- Print run: 900, of which 300 are free copies for the artist
- The costs of commissioning a text from a renowned author, to be selected by Pro Helvetia in consultation with the artists
- Content-related support and expertise during conception and realisation
- Promotion of the publication by Pro Helvetia (distribution via mail to curators and museums, organisation of events) and by the publisher (distribution via bookshops, presence at book fairs)
- A fee of CHF 2’000 to cover the artist’s work on the publication, plus a lump sum of CHF 200 to cover expenses
Artists are expected to
- Be available for and fully committed to the project between August 2022 and March 2023 (conception and realisation of the publication)
- Be available for and fully committed to promoting the publication between June and December 2023 (remuneration pursuant to workload)
- Provide images and other basic material (captions, CV) for the publication
- CV incl. list of exhibitions and bibliography
- Initial idea for publication