In the field of culture and society, Pro Helvetia promotes projects with a theme-based focus. Support in the form of financial contributions to printing and translating non-fiction (incl. e-books) as well as to theme-based exhibitions, events and innovative cultural formats is granted to cultural projects that foster discourse on topics relevant to Switzerland and that are capable of providing fresh cultural impetus. Projects that contribute to a better understanding between regional, linguistic and cultural communities in Switzerland are also eligible for promotion.
To qualify for support from Pro Helvetia, a project must
- be clearly connected to Switzerland;
- be of nationwide importance;
- be publicly accessible;
- be adequately co-financed by other public or private sponsors (incl. publishers / event organisers).
Criteria fulfilled? Below you will find an overview of what our Culture and Society division promotes.
What we support: Scope of promotion
Pro Helvetia supports publishers by means of contributions to the printing costs of non-fiction books by professionally qualified Swiss authors. Support can be applied for in the case of:
- publications in the fields of cultural anthropology and everyday culture dealing with Swiss topics from a contemporary perspective;
- publications on Swiss topics in any arts discipline from a contemporary perspective.
On request by Swiss or international publishers, Pro Helvetia supports the translation of works by Swiss authors on topics of Swiss culture, art and folk culture from a contemporary perspective.
Exhibitions and events on topics of everyday and folk culture in Switzerland
Pro Helvetia supports exhibitions and events dealing with aspects of everyday culture and folk culture in Switzerland as well as their transfer to other linguistic regions in Switzerland and to other countries.
Contributions may be made to:
- thematic exhibitions and events that give a new cultural stimulus to social themes relevant to Switzerland;
- projects involving cooperation between local and regional museums in Switzerland;
- adaptation, transport and insurance costs of exhibitions to be shown in other linguistic regions of Switzerland or abroad.